Monday, June 15, 2015

CCK 2015

I just spent the past week at what I call one of the best places on earth! There is not much that I can say that explains how I feel about The Center for Courageous Kids! This place has been my home for the last three years. I've attended camp here since 2012 for some of the family weekends but then in 2013 I spent my first week as a camper during the summer. The best memories have been made here from my first year at camp.


It will always be my favorite year because it was the year I fell in love with this place. There was so much to do and everyone knows what it is like to be me. To have to struggle with some sort of chronic illness.

Last year in 2014 I met a girl named Elisabeth. She has Cystic Fibrosis. Elisabeth is quite a few years younger than me but she is the only one who understands what it is like to be seriously sick but, not only seriously sick her brother also had Cystic Fibrosis and he passed away a little less than two years ago. Elisabeth knows what it is like to be following close behind that same path that your sibling has already gone down. She knows how scary it can be. We talked forever at the dance last year about our story and our experiences. Both stories seemed very similar. I didn't have to explain what it's like to have a feeding tube, a port-a-cath, take countless medication and being able to swallow about 10 pills all in one time.

This camp has shown me I am not alone and it has given me a week to just be like all my other friends even if I can't attend a "real" camp. The only downfall is that Elisabeth and I live roughly 9 hours away. It will be extremely challenging to see each other but I know we will be able to make things work.


We cried so hard Friday night at the end of the final campfire. It was a very bittersweet moment. I am so lucky to have met Elisabeth but I hate that this was my very last year as a camper. I can't put into words about how much this place has meant to me in these last few years. It's always a great way to start off the summer and I will be forever thankful for this place! Home is where the heart is and my heart is at CCK.


To read Elisabeth's blog click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment