Sunday, September 16, 2018

If I Never Had Mitochondrial Disease

If I never had Mitochondrial disease…

I could live carefree.

I would only know that the mitochondria are the powerhouses of the cell.
I would wince at the sight of a needle.
I would have spent my high school years out on the soccer field.

I wouldn’t have scars like a road map across my body.
My biggest fear would be having a tooth pulled.
I would have all the energy to run around the world.

If I never had Mitochondrial disease…

I would take life for granted.

I wouldn’t know the power of a supportive community.
I wouldn’t know how to swallow a pill.
I wouldn’t know how to pronounce medications like canakinumab… much less spell them!

I wouldn’t love a little harder.
I wouldn’t be able to eat while I sleep.
And I wouldn’t live a little deeper.


But most importantly if I never had Mito I would never be me.

No comments:

Post a Comment